Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Moiré in architectural and macro contexts

familyman1955

Orem, US
54 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
familyman1955 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2006
Sun 12-Feb-12 03:59 PM

Friends,

I hope that this isn’t too repetitive to prior posts, but I am having a hard time sorting out the issues concerning moiré for the new D800/D800E in the various recent discussions. There are bits and pieces of my issue in different posts, but not together.

I shoot mostly landscape (70-75%), then architectural (20%) and then macro (5-10%). I know that concerning landscape there seems to be no reasonable risk for moiré – so that is no issue and I am looking forward to the detail provided by the 36mp sensor (I’ll gladly deal with image file size/storage and computer capacity and processing needs).

However, there seems to be some risk of moiré, according to some (not all, and not consistently) of the recent D800E posts in about 25-30% of my favourite shooting conditions – architectural and macro.

When I am talking about architectural (and perhaps I am taking this differently than meant in the posts) I mean taking photos inside and outside of the wonderful classical buildings of Europe (churches, museums, etc.). My macro work is all outdoors with subjects such as insects, flowers, leaves, etc.

Do those of you who understand issues related to moiré with architectural and macro work (such as the subjects I describe) feel that there are sufficient concerns with potential moiré in this 25-30% of my shooting conditions that I should be concerned in ordering the D800E, or is moiré potentially a concern in other types of architectural and macro work?

Thank you for your responses to this question in this context.

FamilyMan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Moiré in architectural and macro contexts

G