Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
chiefmasterjedi

US
313 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chiefmasterjedi Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2009
Wed 25-Apr-12 04:09 PM

I got my D800 two days ago and so far I'm very impressed, even surprised, at how good it is. The metering is flawless and the dynamic range is crazy, it's almost like HDR.
With that being said, not everything is perfect and I wanted to share a couple of concerns to see if anyone else has these issues. The first issue is oil spots on the sensor after only 200 shots,I know this has been a problem in the past with new cameras but I never had an issue with the D700 that I bought from new. I'm not going to clean the sensor just yet, because it will more than likely get a few more spots on it and I can use the spot removal tool in Lightroom to remove them for now. Does anyone else have oil on their sensor?
Another problem is, I like to have "image review" turned on so I can look at my shots as soon as they are taken so I can check exposure, focus and WB. Several times yesterday I took my shot then looked at the LCD and the photo was dark and it looked like it was badly underexposed, sort of like when you forget to turn your flash on when indoors. I thought I had hit a setting by accident but then noticed after pressing the play button to review the photo again that it was just fine. This happened multiple times, the automatic image preview looked dark but then if I pressed the shutter release half way to closed the LCD preview and then hit the play button, the image was perfect! Not sure what the cause of this is.
Other small problems are the time it takes to load the menu settings, sometimes it's instant and other times it takes a few seconds and I switch off the main dial last night and the camera wouldn't turn off, I switched between on and off a few times and finally it shut down!

I'm not posting all of this to complain because the camera is worth every penny just how it is,I just wanted to know if anyone else has these little gripes.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.
Visit my web site.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 first thoughts