Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D800 or Sony NEX-7

marekfilip1

Germantown Hills, US
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
marekfilip1 Registered since 17th Feb 2012
Wed 22-Feb-12 01:32 AM

All,

This is probably going to sound like a very strange question as these two are not truly comparable, but here is what I am currently going thorugh in my head.

I currently have D300s with 18-200mm and couple of other lenses (35 F1.8 and 11-16mm F2.8 Tokina). I am very happy with the setup although sometimes I wish it was lighter/smaller as I travel quite a bit. I shoot mainly landscape/city life when I travel and my family life...

With the two new cameras coming out in spring (D800 and NEX-7), I have to decide which route to take (size vs IQ):

1. Sony NEX system is getting great reviews and would allow me to travel much lighter while theoretically getting the same level of image quality as I am used to with D300s. I realize the current NEX lense offering is small and I would probably get the 18-200 lens and the new Zeiss 24 F1.7 lense that has good reviews. Looks like they have couple other good lenses coming up to match the NEX-7 later in 2012. Lighter set up would mean I could bring the camera to more places and therefore not "miss" the picture by not having the camera on me. This is a new system, but it looks like Sony came up with some innovative technology (I believe both Canon and Nikon have their hands tied a little and are conservative in their product introductions)

2. If I am going to stay with DSLR (and their weight/size), I would want to get better quality than with Sony system and therefore I would want to upgrade to D800 that is roughly the same weight, but much higher IQ than D300s. This could take my photos to the next level (maybe )

In both cases I need to buy new lenses as my current setup is all DX based. With Sony, I would also have to get new flash (I currently have Nikon flash system) and smaller bags and maybe smaller tripod (currently Series 2 Gitzo, but that could work with sony as well)

I wonder if there is somebody else out there going through similar thinking or if I am just going crazy... I seardch the forum, but nobody has touched on this topic at all...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D800 or Sony NEX-7