Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 to D800 - and a total system rethink.....

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ray B Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Wed 25-Apr-12 08:02 PM

Well, I was pondering where to post this as I'm gonna touch on DX/FX, lenses and system rationalisation, but predominately I’m a D700 and D7000 guy pondering a D800 and all that entails. So I think this is the best forum section to post in!

At the moment I own a D700 and a D7000 with an eclectic array of FX and DX lenses with far too much crossover in focal lengths between the formats, especially with zooms!

I kinda arrived at this crazy situation because much as I love my D700 I also wanted a more compact travel setup, and also for occasions when I don’t want to be burdened down with gear.

BUT, I’m just addicted to FX, partly because D700 files are a thing of beauty and partly because I’m from the dark ages of film SLR’s and hanker after lenses working “properly” at their old fashioned FOV’s and DOF. And in part because I love landscape photography and wide-angle lenses – enough said. I’m also developing a keen desire to move more into studio and portraiture work as well, and my brain processes lens choice and characteristics based on the “old” 24 x 36mm format. So….. I never really warmed to DX for “serious” photography personally. I just hanker after a light kit when needed or more practical.

So, time to rationalise and simplify, and add a few goodies I REALLY want along the way…..

So, this is what I’m planning to do on the DX/light kit front:

1. Goodbye D7000 and DX 10-24mm, 16-85mm VR, 18-200VR Nikkors (my old travel/light kit)
2. Hello (yes not a joke) D3100 with kit lens and keeping my 55-200mm VR and 35mm 1.8 DX prime. Couple this with a 52mm CP filter (shared across all 3 lenses) and my SB400 strobe I have an ultra light travel kit, heck I’ll even consider shooting JPEG with this stuff.

On the FX lens/accessories front:

1. I’ve outed my 24-70mm 2.8 and acquired a 16-35mm VR 4.0 and 24-120 VR 4.0, which form the basis of my “serious” walkaround and landscape kit. I’ll keep my 70-300mm VR (as I don’t do a lot of telephoto work so I can’t see a 70-200mm in my future just now) I’m outing my D primes, a 20mm 2.8 and 85mm 1.8 and replacing them with the new 28mm and 85mm 1.8G . The 50mm 1.8G I already have and clearly that stays. (I’m hankering after working with primes more and more).
2. I also have a couple of SB900’s and an SB600 so I’m covered for strobes and I’m collecting a bunch of stands, soft boxes and the like for my budding studio aspirations.

So… that just leaves FX bodies…….

I’m over the moon with my D700, always have been but I do like to have 2 bodies, so the obvious thing to do is keep the D700 and maybe even add a second body from the used market, especially as prices are falling with the D800 launch.

I like the idea of the D800, in my case with particular regard to:

1. 100% viewfinder
2. Dual card slots
3. DX crop mode with same pixel density as D7000 – handy when you do need reach
4. Much more ability to crop – much like point 3 above.
5. 5:4 crop mode – yes I like.
6. The various benefits of the new sensor regarding IQ, dynamic range etc

However, I don’t need video, don’t fancy the massive file sizes and can’t see the price jump being my bag baby. Heck I could have 2 D700 bodies instead of a D800 for a similar price point and the shoot flexibility that entails…..

But still NAS has me pondering a D800, of course glass is ALWAYS a wiser investment but NAS and wisdom seldom go hand in hand.

Anyhow, if you are still here at the end of my post and endless rambling I’d be grateful of any comments on my thoughts, choices and general insanity!!!

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 to D800 - and a total system rethink.....

G