Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ordered a D800e but now, second thoughts about a D7000 ...

HSSwan

Hollywood, US
58 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
HSSwan Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 24th Jun 2006
Mon 05-Mar-12 02:51 AM

My question is: Am I gaining that much using a D800 and the same lenses I'm using now on my D7000? I'm pretty sure I'll be migrating in the next few years to a smaller less mechanical but programmable camera system. Yes, the mirrorless type. Hence my questioning buying a full frame D800 DSLR for little more than landscape and outdoor photography. What real advantages with that and 20 plus Nikon/Nikkor lenses in mind would merit the purchase?

I took some shots of humming birds today and picked a shot (link below) that has about as much detail and resolution and is as digitally neutral (ISO wise) as I would expect from a D800 and the same lens. I mean I'm using an f/2.8 300 mm AI lens that works as a 450 mm on the DX camera keeping the subjects larger than a full frame sensor and the same 300 mm lens. Granted the new sensor should provide more detail and camera IQ. One of the hummer shots that has me asking http://hsswan.smugmug.com/Animals/Birds-in-the-Oaks/9736269_SH8Zxr#!i=1736047240&k=dcn4j35&lb=1&s=A

This is sort of a cabin fever/sick cat sitting question but thanks for any clarity you can impart.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ordered a D800e but now, second thoughts about a D7...
Reply message Some thoughts on the D800 for birds...

G