Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

To 'E' or not to 'E'...

makiru

Bouillac, FR
102 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
makiru Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2008
Wed 29-Feb-12 07:01 AM

Please bear with me, as I am writing this as I am thinking (it’s OK, I’m sat down…). I will buy a D800 or a D800E, but I’m not sure which one. I have read what is already written about the removal of the AA filter on the ‘E’ and the proposed benefits regarding additional sharpness and dynamic range etc. I have also seen that Capture NX2 is bundled with the ‘E’.

However, considering the workflow, for me this poses a few questions:

1. The D800 has the AA filter in place and so will reduce moiré (according to statements I have read). If I buy the D800E, will I need to systematically run each picture through Capture NX2 to reduce the moiré (if, in fact, there is any and how will I really know what it looks like anyway, apart from what has been written as to what it’s supposed to look like…sorry…), or, just choose the ‘keepers’ and then just run the keepers’ through NX2.

2. If using NX2, how does this reduce the moiré? How is moiré in fact reduced? Can you vary the strength of the ‘reduction’? Will other software (CSxx, LRxx, eventually have this capability (there may already be a software out there, but as I’ve never worried about moiré before, I’ve never considered using it…).

3. If it (NX2) slightly blurs the image (to reduce the moiré) like the D800 which still has the AA filter in place, does this not somewhat defeat the object of having the AA filter ‘removed’?

4. If I have never really noticed moiré before (and to a certain degree, having a D800E, will I become more paranoid about inducing moiré…), will buying the D800 make me blissfully happy knowing that the moiré will be reduced in every photo just like on my trusty D3s (I can of course then slightly sharpen the keepers afterwards, as the AA filtered D800 is slightly blurring my pictures anyway…).

5. Will I really, hand on heart, be able to tell the difference between moiré and non moiré.

6. I’ve never considered moiré before until those dastardly Nikon technicians have now given me the choice…

As I have mentioned, I will buy a D800 or D800E mainly for all my tripod based photo’s, HDR, HDR pano’s, photo stacking, startrails etc. (the D4 later for all the other stuff…), but just can’t get my head around which one and what real benefits the ‘E’ will offer to someone who doesn’t really know what moiré would look like even if it got up and kissed him on the lips…

Any thoughts or further explanations as to ‘moiré’ you may have will be greatly received…

Regards,
Russ

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: To 'E' or not to 'E'...

G