Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 high ISO performance?

vangophotos

Paradise Valley, US
369 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vangophotos Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012
Tue 02-Sep-14 12:43 AM | edited Tue 02-Sep-14 12:51 AM by vangophotos

I've been up in Alaska photographing the bears and wolves. My main body is the D800 (with the D7000 for backup) used with Nikon's 200-400mm lens. I should be using a D4(s) to get the higher fps and better high ISO performance, but that's not in my budget unfortunately. The D7000 does give me a higher frame rate, but the ISO performance, resolution, dynamic range, autofocus, etc... on the D800 are so much better that the D7000 usually sits in my bag.

As the weather is usually overcast or rain, I'm using the lens all the way open at f4 usually to get a minimum shutter speed of 1/250 or faster to catch some of the action. The big variable is the ISO ...

Given that; if the image is great; I want to be able to print these 16x24 (or larger in rare occasions), I've been keeping the ISO at 800 to get clear images.
I've been getting decent results up to ISO 3200 on the D800, but am very interested in what others are using.

How high do you go up in ISO on your D800 and still get publishable images for sale to customers?
What do you use to clean up images taken where the grain is showing due to high ISO?

Additionally, I'm interested in finding out if some here have used the 200-400 f4 lens on both the D800 and the D4(s)?
Based on my research, it seems that the same lens can produce different (sharper) results when used on a different Nikon body; i.e. the D800 vs. the D4. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks,

Jorn

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G