Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D810 does birds and small mammals...

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 01-Sep-14 10:45 AM | edited Mon 01-Sep-14 02:24 PM by briantilley

I took my new D810, with a Tamron 150-600mm zoom, to my local country park yesterday, to experiment with some settings and get a feel for how the new features work out. I was particularly interested in the Highlight-weighted Metering and Group-area AF, as well as the performance at Higher ISO values.

I shot in in 14-bit Lossless Compressed NEF, using Aperture Priority at f/8, and Auto ISO set with limits of 200 and Hi-1 and a minimum shutter speed of 1/800th. No exposure compensation was used. All shots were taken with a monopod, and VC was on.

I was lucky to come across a swan in bright sun with a dark background - a tough test for the metering system. Highlight-weighted successfully retained some detail in the brightest feathers, which is what I'd hoped for. The swan shot was 1/1250th, f/8, ISO 200 and a focal length of 550mm. This is the full frame, with no postprocessing apart from sharpening...

Click on image to view larger version

Next, I encountered a squirrel having breakfast in a shaded tree. With this type of target, I found Single-point AF worked better than Group-area - it was great at picking out the squirrel from the surrounding foliage. This one was at 1/800th, f/8, ISO 9000 and 460mm. It's a slight crop, and has had highlights and shadows adjusted as well as sharpening...

The final example was a dragonfly, flitting about over a small pool but pausing at a hover now and again. When I could get it framed - not easy - AF picked it out pretty fast and I managed a couple of shots. This one, at 1/800th, f/8, ISO 1400 and 600mm, is a heavy crop and has had some contrast and sharpness adjustments. I think it's pretty reasonable for a non-Macro lens near its minimum focus distance...

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D810 does birds and small mammals...

G