Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Pre-Order Mastering the Nikon D810

flashdeadline

Havelock, US
4109 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002
Thu 31-Jul-14 02:53 AM | edited Tue 23-Dec-14 06:14 PM by flashdeadline

Nikonians author Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) reports his newest book, Mastering the Nikon D810 is now available for pre-orderat Amazon.com.

Click on image to view larger version

The USA site is currently showing the book with an 11% savings ($35.71 instead of $39.95). The UK site is also showing it available at £21.52.

Darrell has been examining this camera with the meticulous attention to detail required for preparing an extensive handbook and he took a break from his research to share his first impressions:

"The Nikon D810 camera takes all the mature features of the Nikon D800/D800E and adds to them with a startling array of new features. This camera is more than a mid-cycle upgrade for one of the most popular camera’s Nikon has ever made. Its new features have established it as the Nikon D700 upgrade many have been clamoring for (finally)."

Darrell goes on to list a few of the new points he's discovered upon initial examination of the camera:

• Absolutely no AA (OLPF) filter. Not a hybrid on/off AA filter as seen on the D800E, instead there is no interruption in the light beams. There is truly no AA (blur) filter!
• Larger image buffer memory with 100 images of any size JPEG, 28 lossless compressed 14-bit RAW, and 47 lossless compressed 12-bit RAW. (Double the D800!)
• EXPEED 4 processor from the Nikon D4S, better noise reduction and moiré suppression
• New Kevlar/carbon-fiber-composite shutter design
• Highlight Preservation light metering mode!
• New Clarity setting in the Picture Controls, gives JPEG shooters Photoshop-like clarity control
• Group autofocus for even better action tracking
• Face detection with the Optical Viewfinder (OVF)
• Expanded ISO from 32 to 51200 (32 ISO, yay!). ISO 64 is native, not expanded!
• Faster frame rate of 5 fps in FX mode. Also, 6 ands 7 fps in DX mode.
• CIPA shot rating increased to 3270 pictures on a full EN-EL15 battery.
• Electronic first curtain shutter (lowers shutter vibration significantly)
• Stereo mic input on the body for better simple family videos
• Zebra mode for zebra striping of overexposed areas when using Live View
• 3.2-inch LCD screen with 1229K-dot resolution (instead of 921K-dot)
• OLED viewfinder information display
• Split-screen zoom display in Live View for precise horizontal leveling
• Super-deluxe RGBW display (instead of RGB) the W stands for White, adding even more accuracy to the display, with true whites and better contrast
• sRAW capability like the D4S (similar to a small TIFF file, not real RAW)
• New Flat Picture Control for those who need maximum dynamic range in still pictures and for video color graders
• 1080p video at 50 and 60 fps
• Recording simultaneously to an external video recorder with uncompressed 4.2.2 video (www.Atomos.com) and to the internal memory cards with H.264 compressed 4.2.0 video
• 1/2 ounce (20g) lighter body weight
• Side rubber flaps redesigned for easier use and waterproofing and an overall improvement in camera body waterproofing
• New grip design for easier handholding without pressure being applied to the fingers. Easier for those with large hands to grip the camera too.
• New Software Developer’s Kit (SDK) will give third party developers the resources needed to create applications and enhance the flexibility of the D810.

Darrell tells us the moment he got the camera in his hands he could confirm this is more than a mere mid-cycle upgrade:

"This makes the Nikon D810 the ultimate enthusiast’s full-frame (FX) camera, and a premium professional camera for those needing “no excuses” resolution in the nature field, for portraits, and in the studio.

I can assure you that, as excited as I was about the D800 when it was first released, I am even more excited by this camera. It’s my opinion that it’s the ultimate HD-DSLR camera, with an amazing balance of premium features and ease of use. Similar to my now 10-year-old Nikon D2X, I will never sell this camera. No matter what Nikon comes out with in the future, which I am sure I will own too, this Nikon D810 is a long-term keeper!

Since I got my camera a couple of weeks ago from Nikonians sponsor, Brad Berger of (www.Berger-Bros.com), I have been using this camera constantly. Every day I find something to make me like it even more. This is no D800 or D800E, it is a new camera design in a similarly shaped body! DxO Labs just rated the D810 at 97, the highest image quality any camera has ever achieved in their extensive tests. Thank you, Nikon!"

We have heard from a reputable source that the projected availability of this new book will be sooner than the current December 17th release projection. The book could be shipping as early as November.

As always, this new edition of NikoniansPress Books will carry a 50% discount voucher code for a one year Gold Membership.

--Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Pre-Order Mastering the Nikon D810