Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
branthunter

CA
133 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
branthunter Registered since 18th Dec 2012
Mon 12-May-14 06:20 PM

I have had a D600 with a 70-300 lens for a year but am considering moving to the D800 ( or maybe a Canon 5D Mark III but that's another issue ). I do a lot of BIF work but can't really afford the big primes so am trying to come up with the best combination of camera and lens that will be most effective for me. My latest thinking is that if I combine the high pixels of a D800 with a modest lens like a 300mm or maybe an 80-400, and work hard at getting close to my subjects, then I can use the high pixel count of the D800 to allow me to crop my way into the kind of frame filling images I see coming from the big prime plus TC combinations. The big disadvantages I see in the D800 for me is the low frame rate for burst shooting and how useful the D800 settings menus are compared to being able to change a grouping of settings just by turning a dial as can be done with the D600 and 5DIII. I'd appreciate hearing comments here regarding this strategy and the general experience with the D800 for BIF before I make the jump.

If you don't go you won't get anything

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need help choosing

G