Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E - where to focus for crisp landscape shots?

andyhiseman

UK
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
andyhiseman Registered since 18th Apr 2014
Fri 18-Apr-14 07:59 AM

UK Newbie to this group, and to the D800E (it arrives in 4 days) but not to pro photography. Great to be here - hello everybody!

I shoot a lot of golf course landscapes. I've added the D800E to my current kit which is D3S plus the Holy Trinity (14-24, 24-70, 70-200 all 2.8).

Currently I focus maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the way into the frame, almost always at f/8, which seems to get the sharpest detail all the way back in the photo (to distant trees, flags etc).

Question: given that my technique will be good with the D800E otherwise, where / how would the Group recommend I focus a landscape photo with the D800E for max crispness right into the distance? NB: I am racing the sunlight on most shoots, so have no time for hyperfocal distance calculations on each shot .. .I need quick useable tips please ,,,

And also advice on the best autofocus settings for (mainly) hand-held landscape photographs. I use a tripod when I can, but I'm often way up a ladder, handheld, to get a semi-aerial view of a golf hole!

Would hugely appreciate any advice the Group can give. Best wishes: Andy

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800E - where to focus for crisp landscape shots?

G