Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best Card Management Practices

HarryToo

Caledon, Ontario, CA
17 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
HarryToo Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2014
Thu 13-Mar-14 05:25 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm working on Best Practices with my new 800E and would like to extend the life of the CF and SD cards to their full potentials. I've had trouble in earlier camera setups with damaged cards and corrupted files. I understand that it is unwise to plug your camera into the computer USB slot and edit photos that are still on the card(s) because you stand a good chance of damaging the card itself. You should copy your files over to the computer before doing anything.

My question has to do with getting rid of files/photos AFTER they have been copied to the computer's hard drive. I want to keep my in-camera card lean, mean. Options might include 1. Deleting the photos from the card using the computer commands 2. Unhooking the camera from the computer and deleting the photos from the card using the camera command 3. Unhooking the camera from the computer and reformatting the card using the camera command or 4. Taking the card out of the camera, and inserting it into the card reader of the computer and again doing the work from the computer.

Are there other safer options available? Which do you think is least destructive?

Thanks for the help.

Luvin' my new "E"

Harry,
Caledon, ON

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Best Card Management Practices