Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Roy Kaye

Southampton, UK
49 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Roy Kaye Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2010
Mon 10-Mar-14 11:10 AM

Hello,

I am posting this simply because some people might find it useful.

I was not happy with the DoF using both Zeiss & other Hyperfocal Distance tables, when using my D800E with a Zeiss 1:2/25 lens for landscape work. I tried focusing at infinity then backing off a little, which worked pretty well, and better than using DoF tables which made more distant objects fuzzy pretty quickly. I then tried shooting at F11 but using DoF tables for F8, which was a bit better.

I contacted Zeiss about this, as have seen so many comments from people who talk about sending their lenses back to Zeiss/Nikon etc for testing. Zeiss came back with the following advice - I haven't tried it yet, but imagine Zeiss know what they are talking about (of course this will presumably apply to all lenses; not just Zeiss). It would be interesting to receive feedback, as I'm sure many people have a problem with DoF tables, which are just often used without further thought to type of lens/sensor etc, and I have been just as guilty.
Quote from Zeiss:

The DOF tables and engravings on our lenses base on a circle of confusion (COC) of 0.03mm, which is ok for standard prints (max.13x18cm) or analogue film material. Viewing 36MP photos at 100% or larger requires a much smaller COC, so you should use the DOF tables and scales on the lens at least 2 f-stops more critical.
For example, when shooting at f/8, use the DOF markings and the DOF table for f/4.

I hope this has been useful
Regards, Roy Kaye

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Zeiss DoF advice