Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First five days with my D800

wthalliii

Dallas, US
362 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wthalliii Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2004
Sun 23-Feb-14 03:44 AM

I got my D800 five days ago, and so far I love everything about it. I shot a musical on the third day I had it, and it operates a lot like my D300s, so it felt natural in my hands. I went back and shot more pictures of the musical this afternoon because the first time was dress rehearsal and not all of the costumes were ready.

I did notice one thing that is different between the D300s and the D800. The exposure compensation is backwards. Actually, I think it's backwards on the D300s since to the right is darker and to the left is lighter. On the D800, to the right is brighter, and that makes more sense. At least it does to me.

During one particularly dimly lit scene I used my 50mm f/1.8 at ISO 6400 and got some amazing pictures. This thing will almost shoot in the dark!

I was pleased with the battery life. I bought the MB-D12, so I needed a battery for that. A year or two ago, I bought some Wasabi batteries for my little Sony P&S and was pleased with them, so for about the price of one Nikon EL-EN15, I bought two Wasabi batteries from Amazon, and it included a charger. The first time, I shot 2300 pictures, and the first battery was still at 25%. The second battery was still 100%. This means I'm getting over 3000 shots per battery charge. That's pretty amazing considering that I have to adjust the exposure compensation a lot, and I have to check it on the screen to make sure the exposure is acceptable. If you need extra batteries, I'd recommend these.

I did notice one odd thing about a DX lens that I have, the Sigma 10-20mm. When I use it, the camera doesn't switch to DX. The image it takes is sorta like a fish eye but with the top and bottom cropped a little. It's not cropped on the sides, though. Well, this without the hood. If you have that on, it makes a sort of rounded rectangle. Not a complaint, just an observation. It does switch to DX when I mount my Nikon 18-200mm DX lens, though, so that option is definitely turned on on my camera.

Anyway, just some random observations.

Bill Hall
my web site.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: First five days with my D800