Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Test Shots - Walk Around Annapolis-Low Light Too

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Fri 23-Mar-12 03:44 PM | edited Sat 24-Mar-12 12:16 AM by LMMiller9

Edit: I just shot downtown as the sun set and it got darker and darker. Mostly, shooting across the water to Eastport. I shot with the f1.4 24mm, 35mm, 85mm and 14-25mm f2.8.

The problem with looking at them is they completely distort how dark it was. For example if you look at the young women who were posing for their parents and I then used them as subjects, it was almost completely dark when I shot these. But, you can't tell that. If you follow them from low numbers to high numbers, and you can see the time sequence, you can see the iso levels rise. I'll let you make your own judgments about them. I was using a tripod this time, and I did no processing other than to convert from RAW to jpg and to down sample so the height in most cases is 3500pxls.

So, there has been a lot of scary talk in this forum about how you had to have superior technique, must use a tripod, some lenses that we thought were good aren't good enough, etc. So, this morning I got my D800 and I wanted to test the camera under "average" amateur conditions.

Let me be clear: I am an amateur, with no superior technique. This gallery is all hand held and using the 24-120 f4 lens. So call this first shots by an average guy with an average lens with average technique. That is what you will see here.

If you go to http://www.pbase.com/lmmiller9/d800_test_shots you will see my first walk around. Make your own judgments. Tonight I will go down town with a few 1.4 primes, put the camera on a tripod and do comparison shots with the D700.

All of these are shot on P auto mode, auto iso and I have done no post processing other than to down sample them.

The photos shot in the Starbucks in the basement of the Annapolis Inn go beyond what one should ask of this lens hand held. It is super dark down there, so dark you have to wait a minute to let your eyes adjust so you don't bump into furniture. It definitely needed either a fast lens or the camera on a tripod.

My bottom line is that the fears are unnecessary.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Test Shots - Walk Around Annapolis
Reply message RE: D800 Test Shots - Walk Around Annapolis-Low Light T...

G