Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 vs D600 image size

Jamed600

Naperville, US
492 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jamed600 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013
Sun 09-Feb-14 09:32 PM | edited Sun 09-Feb-14 09:37 PM by Jamed600

I have a new Nikon 80-400 lens and want to play with it but we are having a harsh winter in Chicago so I have been experimenting indoors. I have never had a lens this big and am experimenting with handhold technique. As a baseline I set up the lens on a tripod and shot a ceiling fan/light wall switch plate (lots of crisp, little numbers- good for pixel peeping) about 20 feet away. I then handhold trying different things to see how close I can come to the clarity of the tripod mounted shot (I've got a ways to go but am seeing improvement). At one point I mounted my D600 on the lens (which was mounted on the tripod) and took a shot. The tripod position and lens settings were unchanged. Camera settings were the same and both shots in RAW. When I look at the two images in View NX2 the image of the switch plate is larger with the D800. On the vertical the plate fills the frame. In the D600 shot the plate is an inch short of filling the frame. So, it appears that there is greater magnification with the D800 but I don't understand why this would be the case. Both sensors are 36X24 and I assume the raw, uncropped image as it appears in NX2 is a function of sensor size. I know JPEG print size is larger with the D800 but I assume this due to pixel density and prints based on 300 PPI.
Could it be that the 'film' planes of the two cameras are at different distances from the lens mounting yielding different fields of view?
This is just academic curiosity but thought I might learn something by posing the question. Thanks for reading.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 vs D600 image size

G