Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

One Year with my D800E

Bangkok Paul

Bangkok, TH
597 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bangkok Paul Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 28-Jan-14 05:33 AM

Well, I've had my D800E for one year now and I just LOVE it. In most ways 36 megapixel is very unforgiving on any mistake in technique. Dynamic range is the one thing that is VERY forgiving on this camera, but nothing else is. I put up several pictures I took in my gallery here:

I decided to take my wife and boys for a weekend to the island of Ko Sumet. It's about a 2 hour trip by car, to the southeast of Bangkok, Thailand where we live most of the time. Then a 30 minutes speedboat trip to the islands crystal clear waters. I aways take at least my little Nikon AW-100 pocket camera because it takes great HD movies, has a built in GPS and is good for 10 meters under water, so it's great for casual pictures on the ocean beach.

This time I decided to also take my Nikon D800E. I LOVE this camera because of it's high def and it's AMAZING dynamic range. I have much better action cameras, like my D3, but for portraits and landscapes where you can use a good tripod and head, take time to set up, use Live View and a remote release it's unbeatable. You also need to use your best best glass between about F5 and F9. I take a higher percentage of bad pictures with it, because to take advantage of that 36MP sensor you have to do EVERYTHING right. But, if you DO, WOW! You can crop and crop and get several great pictures from each shot. I tend to use the entire shot and also make several crops. The only place the D800 is forgiving is on the dynamic range, where it is amazing. On this trip I completely overexposed a series of shot on the beach when I was trying to hurry and the glare of using live view on the beach fooled me. Adjusting the exposure in LightRoom was trivial and saved the shots. My wife is a GREAT model and after more than 10 years of being my model is very patient. But, with 2 boys who would rather be racing each other with a network link in Asphalt 8 on their 2 iPad Mini's, you need to be quicker.

But, hauling all that gear is more that I want to do much of the time, and I find myself using my D700 or V1 to go light. Being almost 67, I find myself hauling 15 kilos of camera gear in a backpack through the jungle less and less. After all a hobby is suppose to be FUN!

She has a new bikini I wanted to get some shots of her in it. Despite being a 32 year old devoted mother with no time for the gym, she still has the body of a 20 year old. And, maybe it's love but I still think she is the most beautiful girl I every saw so I love taking her picture. She knows how to give me the sweet sexy look and the aloof look and everything in between. Her nickname is Jojo, after the kangaroos because of her long legs. My nickname, given to me by my father is PJ, for Paul Junior. She surprised me one day with a PJ tattoo on her upper left thigh. I guess I'm a bad boy because I like having my woman branded.<G> I love seeing the PJ tattoo in the Bikini shots. Shrinking the pictures for the gallery does lose some of the tonal texture I think.

I don't get as much time to take pictures as I use to, but if you have time any comments would be appreciated.

I haven't posted in awhile but let me put up on example and a crop

D800E, D3, D700, D300, D2X & D200
If your not shooting Nikon your doing
it WRONG!

My Nikonians Gallery

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: One Year with my D800E