Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What does Focus Point mean in raw image

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 26-Jan-14 04:06 PM

I don't think this is a D800 specific thing, but there's no home for "how does Nikon work" so....

See the attached thumbnails. Notice a few have a focus point shown, and some do not. What does that mean?

Wait... before you answer...

I had pre-focused the camera, had AF-ON selected so that the shutter release did not focus, and shot these from the top of a monopod held over my head on the timer.

In other words, there should have been no focus action when the shutter was released.

So what does it mean? Is it evaluating focus and showing the point anyway, based on whether the item in the selected point was in focus? That's possible given this set, as the ones without are at a pretty significantly different perspective and distance.

Is it remembering whether it successfully focused at the point I did focus, before hoisting it over my head? That's possible given all the samples I have, as I usually did a focus before a set of shots at a given position, and in a pretty limited sample set, all from one position were either on or off.

Most of these I just counted on the very wide angle (14mm, occasionally 24mm) and a modest F4 to pull things into adequate focus for how people would view them, so I wasn't too worried what it showed.

But when I saw these in ViewNX after the fact, it made me wonder -- what do they even mean in this no-focus-during-shot type shot?

Click on image to view larger version

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://www.captivephotons.com

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What does Focus Point mean in raw image