Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF fine tune on D800?

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sat 11-Jan-14 07:33 AM

I bought a used PCE 24mm and when I set it up the images were all soft, video and stills, daylight and sunset.

My fault in a sense between the store which bought it back broken (had to go back to Nikon because one movement control had been locked up/stripped through neglect by original owner to read the instructions) never lock and try and move, DUH but, once we settled on who would pay for that I made the mistake of not shooting it in the store after it came back.

So upon returning from Death Valley where we were fortunate to have been sherpa-ed with the NPS (National Park Service) photographer one golden hour at Mesquite Dunes (cost me a steak dinner) I took it back to Nikon LA to see WT#.

It's a class B repair and the folks there are always gracious and very helpful. The tech came out front and asked me if I fine tuned the camera to the lens (before the estimate determined an issue). I also have them doing the MOD because they can supply larger knobs.

I told him, between poor eyesight, shake (runs in the family) and that even with all of the great tutorials on Nikonians, because I had managed to scratch my D3S sensor during a wet clean that I would not attempt serious adjustments solo, just because.

He offered to do that for me when the lens was repaired.

I received the estimate on Tuesday and drove down today with both the D3S and the D800 to leave them for his adjustments.

I took the 70-200, the 50 and the 24-70 which during night shots (new moon on the 31st in the park ) seemed a little soft on the far left for night sky but not noticeable in daylight.

We wrote the fine tune adjustments for these three lenses on a new estimate, not wanting to take advantage.

SO, when the D800 came out there was strum und drang about lenses that would or would not work well enough and I recall Alan on the Architectural forum saying the 24PCE was soft around the edges on the D800 but generally, do most, some or all of y'all do this type of alignment regardless, or simply leave well enough alone?

Since the tech emphasized it, I decided to let Nikon do their stuff but really never saw it at issue in the work for any of the bodies we have.

Just curious, thanks!

Rob Manning

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF fine tune on D800?