Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Metering sanity check

Nick2013

IT
983 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Nick2013 Registered since 21st Nov 2013
Fri 10-Jan-14 10:27 AM

I took the camera out yesterday morning to test it out. It was one of those days with pure white clouds down below in the valley. Light blue skies above me. I wasn't really thinking just checking focus and other basic functions. Aperture mode. Auto ISO . When I got back on the computer the white clouds are grossly over exposed. Using lightroom the slider is all the way into the negative zone. I end up with some very moody dark skies.

The foreground without adjusting exposure is basically correct. The skies basically right. Maybe a fraction of a stop off . So it's just the clouds.

Now the question -) I'm assuming the meter just saw the majority of the scene and biased the exposure that way. Make sense?

The non cloud photos are correctly exposed.

BTW I'm not asking how to get correct cloud exposure. (spot meter the clouds and set it manually) I'm just asking about the matrix metering.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Metering sanity check