Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sensor cleaning - Copper Hill

skiroc

Redlands, US
216 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
skiroc Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Wed 08-Jan-14 07:21 PM

Does anyone use these products? They don't list a phone number and I have emailed them twice with no response. I have a couple of questions that maybe this group can help with.

I have a Nikon D800E. Throughout their cleaning tutorial tutorials they seem to switch between saying you are cleaning the sensor, vs you are cleaning the AA filter. Given that the D800E does not have an AA filter, do I clean it differently? I do mirror lock-up and look in the camera - there appears to be only one surface to clean.

Also, I do not understand the statement below from their website. “do not swab your sensor if you see a spec and cannot blow it off”. Isn't that the entire point of the wet cleaning method with their products?

"Take a couple of seconds to look at the CCD or CMOS. If you see any specks on your AA filter, try to blow them off with a blower before you swab (I recommend using canned air if possible). DO NOT swab your sensor if you see a speck on it and you cannot blow it off. If you just can't remove it, please send it into the manufacurer for service. This is the one area where you could cause some damage by forcing the issue."

I'm new to sensor cleaning and I'm sure I am just confused with terminology. It is frustrating that a company with products that are highly recommended is not responsive.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sensor cleaning - Copper Hill