Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

d800 , constant light,auto iso

mathjak107

bayside queens, US
474 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mathjak107 Registered since 31st Dec 2006
Sun 05-Jan-14 02:36 PM | edited Sun 05-Jan-14 02:38 PM by mathjak107

i came across some interesting results when the d800 is in manual and you use auto iso in constantant lighting.

my wife and i were shooting macro and i decided to try something i never use in macro, the auto iso.

typically in macro i get a nice exposure but decide i want more or less depth of field. i thought it would be nice to leave auto iso on under the contstant lighting and vary aperture to change depth of field while in manual.

i figured auto iso would self adjust leaving me with the same exposure range only different depth of field since i only changed aperture.

well thats not what the d800 does. however that is just what my wifes d7000 does when in manual, auto iso.

the d800 held the iso at a constant value and adjusting the aperture changed my exposure. it held that iso constant until the lens was just shy of fully open ,then it let the iso fall.

very different results than i am used to getting which is more like the d7000 behaved.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: d800 , constant light,auto iso

G