Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Does your D800 have a mind of its own?

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 28-Dec-13 10:48 PM

I had a strange situation tonight shooting a party I was attending. A girl came to me to ask if she could shoot a few and since I know she is very experienced with a D90 and a could good lenses I agreed. It would not focus. AF-On did not work, she kept trying, nothing. I assumed she was not pressing the correct button and showed her.She tried it again, nothing, I put my finger on top of hers to assure that enough pressure was used although the button is pretty sensitive anyway. Nothing.
After several attempt, her girlfriend came over and I had her try it, although she was not familiar with cameras at all, worked for her first try. Handed it the first girl again, nothing. Gave up and later on in the night tried again. I first thought she might have her fingers on the focus ring on the 24-70, no, that was not it. I tried having her use the vertical grip AF-On button that did not work either. Set the camera on the table so she did not touch it other than the AF-On button. Still no AF. Finally I set it to shutter activated AF and it still would not work for her but did for everyone one else who we got into our little experiment.
Her only plausible explanation was the the D800 has a feminine spirit and was jealous. Her D90, she explained, always worked for her but not her best male friend, but he is a camera klutz so his not being able to use it was not unexpected. I never thought of the D800 as being feminine but in some ways it is and exudes a certain sensuality. I suggested that we should get our cameras together and maybe we would produce a couple V2 or at least a couple CoolPix offspring from her male camera and my female camera.

Is your D800 the jealous type?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G