Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is the dynamic range of the D800 really as good as they have made it to be?

KHR

LaSalle, CA
234 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KHR Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2009
Thu 19-Dec-13 09:49 PM

I have heard that the dynamic range of this camera is great, that you can't make a bad exposure with this camera and read in many different places that (forgive me if I'm not says this right) that DXO says it's testing showed a dynamic range of 14 EV.

I recently purchased the new Sekonic L478DR and used the DTS software to find the dynamic range of the camera and calibrate my meter to my camera. Now the resulting dynamic range came up at 6.7 EV (give or take the little bit of leeway they give you for a safety margin on both ends of the scale). That's not anywhere close to what I was expecting.

Please forgive if I'm getting this all wrong. I have too many hobbies and trying to keep up with all of them is a constant challenge, I'm always up for a challenge!

Kelly

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is the dynamic range of the D800 really as good as ...

G