Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E Auto Focus stopped working????

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Thu 28-Nov-13 02:38 AM | edited Thu 28-Nov-13 02:42 AM by icslowmo

Ok, so I decided to clean the sensor on my D800E, a couple of nights ago, as this will only be the second time in about 12,300 actuations.

Did have a couple of oil spots but not a big deal to me as it was only three spots, one bigger one and two very small ones. The rest was dust. I know it was oil due to using a sensor brush first and the specks of stuff smeared.... but anyways,

I was using my 50mm f/1.4G @ f/16 and used the AF/M switch to keep it from focusing. Set focus to nearest focus on lens manually, took pic and etc for sensor cleaning. After third and final go at cleaning, I'm not perfect at it and oil takes a couple of rounds, I put the lens back on and switched it back to AF mode and nothing.... No AF.... Ok ok, I checked switch on the lens that was just working fine moments before and it's on AF mode.

So, I have determined it is just the AF/M switch that has stuck in manual focus mode as the center button to change AF points/area/3D tracking will wake the meter up so to speak, so it's working, but will not allow AF point selection to switch as if camera is still in manual focus mode with said switch.

Also tested with my 24-70 f/2.8, no go. Tested with my 28-105 AF-D, no go. None of them will focus with shutter (my default) or the AF-On button on back of camera.

Now my real question is, do you guys think I should send this to Nikon (LA) or APS. I bought the camera from my local shop (Foto Forum in AZ) in May of 2012 as this is when I registered it on Nikon's site. So, I know Nikon will not warranty this as I'm 5 months out of warranty. I'm thinking I should send it directly to Nikon as I know for sure they should have the parts. Unless you guys think APS will do a "better/faster" repair as I do need the camera fixed as soon as possible. I have several photo sessions coming up and will have to borrow a D300 from a co-worker for a couple of them if I have to.

What are your opinions on this and what would you guys do??? (gals also, if any are reading)

Thx

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800E Auto Focus stopped working????

G