Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Live View Exposure Preview. Huh?

Kropotkin

Bicester, UK
71 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Kropotkin Registered since 02nd Dec 2012
Sun 17-Nov-13 04:18 PM | edited Sun 17-Nov-13 04:38 PM by Kropotkin

OK. So I have my new D800. It doesn't feel as good to handle as the
D7000 (not by a long way) but the quality of the pictures really does seem close to medium format. Very excited about that.

But I'm quite confused about camera live view. This seems one of those cases where the manual doesn't give much information and there is a lot of confusion amongst users and even writers of books.

Here is an example:

In A mode. F22. (Active D Lighting off). WB auto. ISO 200.

I'm in a room lit only with weak ambient lighting.

The picture in the monitor is very very dark, more or less black. When I take the image the image is reasonably exposed - as I would expect. The camera has just worked out the exposure (1 1/2 seconds) and got a reasonable exposure. So; the monitor image was not giving an exposure preview.

According to the manual (p46) (and it is quite clear) pressing the OK button will give an exposure preview taking account of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. It doesn't. Pressing it makes no difference at all to the image displayed in the monitor. It does put up a level meter which (in A mode) will show any EV I have set. But, again, there is no change to the image in the monitor display.

To complicate matters: with OK off (or on - it makes no difference) if I open up the Aperture the image in the monitor does become brighter. At a wide aperture it starts to look quite like the actual photograph which is captured.

Based on all that it seems that in Aperture mode the following are the case:

A:

1. The image in the monitor is an attempt to show what the exposure will look like. However this is not very reliable. (At least in the conditions I am testing in - very low ambient light resulting in long exposures, longer than a second).

2. The function of the OK button is not as described in the manual. It does not show an exposure preview. It simply pops up a levels meter to show current EV settings.

However, another explanation is possible:

B:

1. What I'm seeing on the monitor is an optical view. This is why it gets brighter when I open up the aperture.

2. The OK button is not working to show an exposure preview - either because of a setting issue or camera fault?

Can someone help me out here? Is it A or B?

Many Thanks

--Justin Wyllie

http://www.justinwylliephotography.com/googleplus
http://www.nelsonphotographic.co.uk

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Live View Exposure Preview. Huh?

G