Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Another help me decide post ;)

Babramsky

US
51 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Babramsky Registered since 31st Aug 2013
Tue 05-Nov-13 04:07 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post (not including the new member intro), but I've been reading new and old posts for a few months now. This is a great place to learn for a novice like me.

I'm posting here because if I post on the 600/610 forum, I'm pretty sure of the answers I'll get, so here I am.

I decided a few months ago I want to move to FX to complement the DX world I've lived in since my first DSLR (original D50). I've been trying to decide which camera to go to - the 600 or 800/E and now with the 610, it's an even harder decision. (I had already decided on 800E until the 610 entered the equation) I keep changing my mind almost daily, so I appreciate your input.

Here's my background and goals: I moved to the D7000 a year ago after I outgrew the D50. It was a little frustrating at first, with the number of settings to tune and above all, my sloppy shooting technique to correct and improve. I learned a lot! I mostly shoot at wide apertures, and mostly portraiture, which is why I want to move to FX. I also shoot some nature, and some kids' sports, which I'm planning to keep the D7000 for. Today, photography is a hobby, but I would like to develop my skills to the point where I can start a side business for children's and family photography outside of the studio setting - both outdoors and indoors, so low light performance is still important.

I've read all the recommendations to others who posed this question before. I know the specs of the individual cameras, the pros and cons, etc. What I would like to know is, what can the 800/E do that 600/610 can't that might be a deal breaker? If I do decide to go pro in a couple of years, will I regret not getting the 800E?

I'm in awe of some of the photos posted by 800/E owners. The ability to pull detail out of the shadows is amazing! (Stan, your photos of the two young Russian women from that bar stand out in my mind!) Can one do that with the 610?

Money is not a deciding factor for me, but I don't want to spend more than I need to on the camera, especially since I'll need to spend a good amount on quality FX lenses. On the other hand, I intend to keep this camera for several years, so I don't want to outgrow it too soon. My husband already can't understand why I want (I call it need, not want!) another camera only a year after buying the D7000.

Here are some pros on both cameras for me (I can't find any cons for either that can't be overcome):

D610: the $1k lower price can go towards a lens; has wireless connectivity; meets all my needs today; little to no learning curve, coming from the D7000

D800E: the higher resolution essentially makes it an FX and DX body in one so I can leave the D7000 at home unless I need a second body, which is rare today; more freedom in cropping due to the resolution; 51-pt AF; pro button layout, etc. to learn and adapt to; more camera than I need today, but will push me to learn and grow more;... And oh, yeah, NAS!

I plan to buy the 85/1.8G and 24-120/4, and later, the 70-200/4 with the 800E, but with the 610 might opt for the kit 24-85 instead of the 24-120 (although I like the fixed f4 aperture and the longer reach better, but I think IQ wise they're pretty close based on DxOMark scores and numerous posts on this site)

I initially wanted 24-70/2.8G and the 70-200/2.8G, but I think I should wait until when I do start making money at this... Or should I?

With Black Friday approaching fast, I'd like to decide on the camera, then firm up the lens choices so I can take advantage of deals.

I'm sorry for this very long post. Thanks for reading this far.

Your comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated both for the camera and the lens choices!

Bengisu

D7000, DX lenses: 35/1.8G, 18-105, 18-55, 55-200, 18-200, 55-300

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Another help me decide post ;)
Reply message Thank you and update
Reply message RE: Thank you and update

G