Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800, Auto-ISO and built in flash - is this right? Not good

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 25-Mar-12 03:28 AM

I have my new D800 but am travelling and my D300 is only from memmory, but I think there is a change in how auto-ISO works that frankly I do not like.

In (for example) "A" mode, auto-iso, in a dim room with the flash up, my recollection of the D300 is that it did the iTTL measurement and adjusted the ISO only if the flash was inadequate at full power. Did I make that up?

With the D800, the auto-ISO is setting the ISO based on ambient light, and appears to ignore the fact that the flash is going to fire. I've tried both spot meter (which forces BL off) and center. Basically everything came out at 6400 (which is where I had it set) even if the subject was at 2' away.

This means if shooting with a flash, auto-iso is pretty much useless unless you want it just for fill.

I don't have a separate flash to try.

Can anyone confirm? Is my recollection correct on the D300? How about others?

I keep thinking I am missing a setting somewhere, but the only way I have found to get the flash to provide the light instead of the ISO compensating is turn it off -- what I really want is for it to fill in only if the flash is not powerful enough.

I don't think it matters but trying this with a 24-70/2.8 Nikon lens.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800, Auto-ISO and built in flash - is this right? ...

G