Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Merging refocused frames with the D800

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009
Thu 24-Oct-13 09:54 AM | edited Thu 24-Oct-13 02:34 PM by slothead

I haven't tried this with any Nikon (or any camera actually), but I'm curious if anyone has succeeded with it on a D800.

I am describing taking two very quick images with different focal distances with a fast lens wide open (shallow DoF) and then merging them into a single image using PS layers.

My objective is capturing my twin grandsons in the Halloween costumes at different focal distances using available light (I hate flashes). I know that they will inevitably appear to me at different distances, and I expect the light to be poor. I will probably be using either my 85mm f/1.4 or my 50mm f/1.4, a fast ISO, and will have to recompose for each shot, but am expecting that I can do so quickly enough that PS/CS can find enough similarity to stitch the two images. I'm also assuming that I will have to use AF-C, but if the lighting is too different at the two locations, I may have to stick with AF-S and re-measure (Re-AE/AF lock, rather that just recompose).

Any ideas would be welcome. (I hope this is understandable.)

(And mods, feel free to move this thread - I just wanted the D800 folks - specifically - to see it too.)

--- edit ---

It just dawned on me that this is no different than focus stacking (assuming my subjects hold still - THAT will be a miracle), so my question is not at all complex and I am probably wasting your time asking for inputs.

Thanks for reading just the same,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

G