Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Auto-White balance is off - setting somewhere?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5755 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 13-Oct-13 03:17 PM

I've been noticing for some time that the white balance on my D800 tends to be significantly different from my D4. OK, I lack a grey/white card to tell for sure which is right, but my eye tells me the D800 is the one that is wrong.

The attached three shots were D4 then D800 then D4. They are all "as shot" in Lightroom. The settings lightroom interpreted as as-shot were:

#1 (D4) = 6500 / +9
#2 (D800) = 5200 / +7
#3 (D4) = 6500 / +8

The reason for the D4 a second time was to make sure the light did not change substantially. These are through a 200/F2 @ F16 on a tripod, and taken sequentially as quickly as I could switch bodies. They are at ISO 100.

White balance is A1 on both. I have checked a dozen times to make sure I didn't have one on A2 (warm). I went further into the adjustments for "A" and it is centered on both.

Both cameras were on Matrix metering (but that doesn't seem to matter), and on the center point.

The D4 exposed slightly differently also, at 1/30th vs. 1/25th for the D800, and I did not force it either pre- or post- to be the same, so the center is slightly brighter in addition to being a different color.

This is pretty consistent. I see it worse at night, e.g. shooting two bodies for soccer, but the first thing I do in soccer is go wipe out the "as shot" anyway. In fact most sports I end up tweaking - bright uniforms, water, signs. So this hasn't been a big issue.

But I finally decided to dive in and see if I had a setting different.

And I can't find one.

What might I be missing? Or might these two cameras be just that far apart?

Anyone else have both and have compared?

Click on image to view larger version

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://www.captivephotons.com

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Auto-White balance is off - setting somewhere?
                    Reply message "RE: Auto-White balance is off - setting somewhere?"

G