Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Second D800 up and shooting

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3321 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 29-Sep-13 08:18 PM | edited Sun 29-Sep-13 08:20 PM by ajdooley

There seem to be more instances of Nikonians reporting their second D800-family cameras coming into use.

I started my transition from a pair of D700s to the D800s (plurals -- there's no D800S) in May. I ordered a second D800 in late June -- two days before I fell over a gate in my house (too long to explain: but clumsy will suffice) and required rotator cuff and bicep reattachment surgery. The second D800 arrived a few days later. I opened the delivery carton to make sure nobody had absconded with my camera and replaced it with a brick -- but it languished unpacked until last week. It has now accumulated about 400 clicks.

My verdict: the D800 is a definite step up and forward from my D700s
-- both of which will soon hit the market. As I have said, while the D700 elicited a "WOW!" from me, the D800 has been more of a "wow." It exceeds the D700's high ISO performance and certainly captures incredible detail. Perhaps its ability to retain shadow detail is its most amazing capability. To me, these cameras easily exceed anything film ever provided and are now truly "lens limited."

BTW, I don't sense that either of my cameras suffer from the left focus issue, but I don't shoot test charts or brick walls. I will not be so bold as to say that the D800 will be my last body -- as I did when I got my first D700. But at age 69, there's more of a possibility of that happening!

I do want to thank all the D800 owners who preceded me in opening their new boxes, sharing their experiences and answering my and other's questions. The members are truly the heart and soul of the Nikonians family. Civil, friendly, eager to help and offer opinions and observations -- are all characteristics seldom violated. Don't change a thing about this group!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Second D800 up and shooting

G