Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Back-button Focus and Remote Cable Release ( D800e)

GaryPk

Bailey, US
537 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012
Sun 29-Sep-13 04:54 PM | edited Mon 30-Sep-13 12:44 AM by GaryPk

I use back button focus when shooting hand held, no cable release. Setup A-4 is set to Shutter/AF-ON. After reading an article in the current Digital Camera Magazine, it appears that when I back-button focus then recompose and shoot, pressing the camera shutter release button causes a re-focuses on wherever the focus box is aimed. Apparently I must shoot AF-ON only handheld/back-button focus.

I always use a cable release with a tripod for my landscape shots. When composing using the View Finder I back button focus then initiate the shutter with the cable release. That seems to work fine since I am not re-composing (relocating the focus box) before pressing the cable release.

I have read in that article that you can not use a cable release with the camera A-4 set to AF-ON only. Correct ? I would rather not focus with the on-camera shutter release in any case...

What happens when I am Live View AF-Focusing and shoot with a remote cable release?

Thank you for your thoughts on this ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30039864@N07/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G