Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to clean D800 sensor?

vladiator

Auckland, NZ
129 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vladiator Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2009
Wed 18-Sep-13 05:28 AM

Hi all.

Prior to buying D800 I used D90 with 18-200mm, so I almost never had to change my lenses. As such, I have never had any noticeable dust on the sensor and never needed to clean it.

Now I use D800 with 24-70mm and 70-200mm and swap lenses regularly. After using it for the last 6 months, it is time to clean my sensor.

I have a few dust spots that appear of photos here and there, so I tried suing a rocket blower on the mirror and the sensor to get rid of them. Unfortunately, only a couple of spots disappeared and the rest are still there (and one new one seems to have appeared).

Since I have never cleaned a sensor before, I do not want to do any more intrusive cleaning without first asking for your comments regarding processes / tools which you use for cleaning a D800 sensor. What works and what does not work for you?

I also have a couple of questions regarding cleaning lenses:

* I noticed that my Nikon 24-70mm lens seems to have some kind of a speck under the front lens element (i.e. not on the outside of the front element lens where I could reach it, but somewhere inside the lens). It appears quite tiny, like a speck of dust. Is it normal and should I be worried about it?

* Rear lens element - if there is a speck of dust that cannot be removed with a rocket blower, can I use a LensPen brush on the rear lens element?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How to clean D800 sensor?

G