Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Editing D800 raw files on an Android tablet

Kennebunk Larry

Westford, US
107 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Kennebunk Larry Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2003
Mon 02-Sep-13 05:07 PM | edited Tue 03-Sep-13 03:18 PM by Kennebunk Larry

Hello,

All D800 owners know what a great images this camera can produce. However, up until 3 weeks ago, I could never be sure as to how good the quality of any one nef image was until I got home and downloaded my files to my PC where I could then examine my images with Photoshop or Lightroom or other editor. Now, I have a much faster and more convenient way to do so using Photo Mate Pro with its raw extension option running on my Nexus 10 tablet. This one app alone has made my purchase of an android tablet worth it. Right now, I am sitting in my vacation home where I only have an older HP tablet with its low quality display. Although I have View NX2, LR 3 and PS CS3 installed on it, I am unable to tell how good my D800 raw images really are until, like I said, I am able to use my high quality, profiled monitor on my home PC. With the Photo Mate app, I can very quickly download 40 mb raw images via the usb ports of the camera and tablet and quickly examine and edit the photos. This app has many, if not most, of LR's functions and they are blazingly fast! One can even quickly convert the image to a jpeg and email it. Of course,I don't know how fast it would be on a lesser tablet than mine. The app with raw option costs a little over $8...a steal. It also works with raw images from a D7100, which I also own.

One other app, which is free, and also amazing is DSLR Dashboard. This takes your Live View image and places it on your tablet where you are provided with controls over every camera function. You also place your focus point by just touching the object on which you want to focus. You can also review your image after you've taken it but it's not a replacement for Photo Mate.

Finally, I own a great Joy Factory mount which allows me to attach my tablet to my tripod.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them.

Attached is a photo showing my camera setup with my D800 on a tripod and my tablet mounted on my tripod and running DSL Dashboard. The second photo shows my tablet editing the raw image I just shot and using Photo Mate Pro with the Raw option.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Editing D800 raw files on an Android tablet