Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to download D800 files to the computer

drjh68

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
151 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003
Fri 30-Aug-13 11:55 AM | edited Fri 30-Aug-13 12:00 PM by drjh68

I have just acquired a D800 to replace my D700, and have been setting it up.

All wentfine until the final action – to download test files from the camera to the computer. As I have Windows 7x64bit, CNX2 and View NX2 and Nikon Transfer 2 very latest versions already installed and in use, it did not seem necessary to use the View NX 2 CD which came with the camera. I did finally try it, but it reported that the latest versions were already installed.

When I connected the camera to the computer, I at first thought that nothing had happened as nothing appeared on the screen. Then a search revealed that the files were on my computer under C Users> My Pictures folder (each of about 45MB).

They would not open because they were trying to open via Windows Media Player, which could not recognise them. Then I deleted them and found that the same files on the card in the camera became deleted (sorry, you couldn’t make it up!).

I did notice in a previous discussion that “Inside ViewNX2 is a version of Nikon Transfer that works with the D800”, but I could not find it.

At no stage did I get an opportunity to select the destination, or delete unwanted pictures as was normal with the D700. I actually wanted to transfer them to a new hard disk on the computer reserved for the D800 pictures.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

James, Suffolk UK
PS I was totally amazed by the technical quality of the D800 files.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How to download D800 files to the computer
Reply message View NX2.8 is the latest version