Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Hyperfocal Focusing

helmdr

Houston, US
297 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
helmdr Registered since 08th Nov 2012
Sun 25-Aug-13 04:11 PM

I have been reading a lot lately on hyperfocal focusing for landscape with my D800. I think that I have confused myself more than helped.

I understand the concept and how to set it up, but how to practically use it is beyond me.

Example with a focal length of 50mm and f8 aperture, the hyperfocal distance is 15.7 meters and everything is in focus from 7.84 meters to infinity.

My question is how do I set my focus to 15.7 meters? I would be lucky to be within a couple of meters at best. IF the focusing was two meters closer than the far limit drops from infinity to 108 meters, meaning a lot of my background would be out of focus. From what I can understand, it is better to miss it on the far side than the near side.

Am I missing something, should I just be using 1/3 the way in or what?

thoughts and help please.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Hyperfocal Focusing