Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
iunlock

New Iberia, US
47 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
iunlock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2012
Sat 24-Aug-13 03:48 PM

I am discouraged and I need some advice please.
Two weeks ago I was made an offer that I couldn't refuse for my D700. I sold it and then ordered a used D800 from a reputable Nikon dealer. In the year and a half that I owned the D700, I never had to swab the sensor to clean it, I only had to use the blower to get the dust off of the sensor. I have owned this D800 for a week now and have had to clean the sensor EVERY DAY. At first I thought that the company which I bought the camera from did not do a good job of cleaning it, but I have concluded that this is not the case. Whenever I clean the sensor if I go outside to take some test shots, the first 5 images will be clear of dust but then around the 6 or 7th image at least 2 spots appear, (same settings.)
And then there is another problem. There seems to be a film of some sort on the sensor itself which I cannot get to come off . At this point I am out of swabs from so much cleaning, and I still cannot get this film to lift off of the sensor. If I take a picture of the blue sky, the film is noticeable as there is a discoloration in the top left portion of the frame. It is very faint and unnoticeable on "regular" pictures, but If I am going to shoot a landscape, which this is supposed to be the king of all landscape cameras, this discoloration in the sky would be unacceptable.
The company which I bought the camera from has a return policy of 14 days. This post IS NOT a complaint on this company. I simply want to know from you all what I should do about this.
Should I return it for the price which I paid for the camera and start over with another body? Should I return it for repair? Is this common for D800s? Is this film on my sensor due to oil leakage which I heard something about from other D800s and D600s?
I know that I am rambling, but my D700 was perfect, and I have been struggling with this D800 ever since I opened the box. I am discouraged!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Sensor problems?