Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How do I love the D800...let me count the ways...

lizmcf

Manorville, US
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lizmcf Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2006
Thu 22-Aug-13 02:46 PM

I volunteer for a group called Canine Companions for Independence (cci.org). They provide service dogs, skilled companions, hearing dogs and facility dogs, free of charge to the recipient. My job is to photograph the new teams as they graduate after a two week training course. I have a very limited time to photograph up to 12 teams with the puppy raisers and family. I take about 50 shots per group, varying the people in the group (graduate & dog, puppy raisers and other family members. I used to use a D300 and had to play all sorts of shenanigans to get the lighting right. The groups being photographed are as small as 2 and as many as 25. All done in a couple of hours. But ever since the D800 I have ditched the lighting and depend on higher ISO's and great detail from the D800 to get what I need. A week ago 10 teams graduated. One was a dog named Fenway, sponsored by the Boston Red Sox and named after Fenway Park where they play. I thought it was perfect because the dog was matched with a little boy. But when I showed up for the shoot it was even more perfect because there was the Red Sox Mascot Wally. How cool was that. I was completely confident the D800 was up for the job.
Liz

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

G