Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D800E has left focus prob, curious about serial #

dralph

Elmira, US
288 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dralph Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006
Wed 21-Aug-13 03:22 AM

On 8/14/13, I took delivery from B&H of a new D800E. I waited well over a year to get this camera in hopes that the left focus issue would be solved.

So, I shot brick walls, and then focus charts taped to my walls, with the camera locked down on my Gitzo and Markins, using a remote release and mirror lock up mode to eliminate all possible vibration. I used my 14-24, 24-70, 50 1.4D and 85 1.8 as test horses, all wide open with the exception of the 50mm which I stopped down to F2.0. 'Read Thom Hogan, Ming Thien and others. And, I did some live view shots as comparisons.

The good news is that Live View is tack sharp. Well that is not news at all since live view is sensor focused.

Tripod shots taken, using the far left focus point, AF-S or AF-C, are not consistently sharp when viewed at 100%. They are most often blurred. Only the 85mm 1.8, even wide open, had sharp focus from using focus points on the right and left. Sharpness is why someone buys this camera at all.

So, the serial number is 30143XX. Can anyone tell me where that number fits in the production series? Is it possible to know whether that body is an early one that sat around the dealer or Nikon's pipeline, or is it recent vintage. If the former, we can still be stung by old stock. If the latter, then Nikon has not solved the production problem for consistent alignment of the various parts in the focus system.

TIA
David Ralph

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New D800E has left focus prob, curious about serial...

G