Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
burchan

Sydney, AU
368 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012
Mon 19-Aug-13 11:06 PM

I am new to D800 having used D7000. Do not have much in FX lenses except 50mm f1.8D and 300f4. Also tried 10-24 DX usable from 15mm in FX mode. We had overseas visitors and I had opportunity to put to good use both cameras. Just as well because lot of my D800 images are not focused. D800 has reputation for good focus system so I need advice on what am I doing wrong. I must admit that I do not have good understanding of how system works and will need to study it more. I do notice that D800 Focus mode selector does not have option for Auto number of points selection as with D7000 but only in Constant mode. With D7000 I set Auto Dynamic 21 points and all images are in focus. I also use single focus point and get good result. With D800 I used AF-S Auto with OK results, AF-S single with lot of out of focus images and AF-C Dynamic with poor focus and focus point in the wrong place of missing. I do see sharp image in viewfinder but results are not what I was getting. Could it be the lens I am using? or the settings. I do like the camera and I know that I will overcome this issue. I am at the moment trying to decide on what lenses to buy.

Attached are few photos with settings and focus information.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How to focus