Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

An opportunity to move up to FX...maybe

RJLOMMD

Owings Mills, US
286 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RJLOMMD Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 06th Jul 2004
Sat 17-Aug-13 01:29 AM

I have an opportunity to move up to a full frame Nikon. I am currently using --and loving-- my D300s. But I have the opportunity to buy myself a "modest" retirement present. The D800 (not the 800e) seems to be my best choice. But I have several questions and concerns that perhaps the forum might help me with.

1. I like the fact that it has the same alloy body with seals as the 300s,
2. From everything I've read about the D800, it seems like a significant upgrade of the D300s (improved ISO, amount of pixels, improved video, etc.)only it is full frame. It seems like it is almost the much talked about D400, only full frame.
3. The price is right for me at this time --even with the battery grip.

I have read many of the posts and other resources about using DX lenses on a full frame sensor. All seem to agree that it just won't work and its pretty clear why. BUT, what does the DX mode on the D800 (and other full frame cameras) do? Does it mean that if active, DX lenses could be used without any problem? This feature would permit me to continue to use my DX lenses (Nikkor 18-200, Tam 17-50 f/2.8, etc). At least until I can upgrade the glass. My Nikkor 105mm, 50mm and the Sigma 70-200 present no problem. Unless I am misunderstanding something because I've not seen anyone mention this feature when discussing why DX lenses won't work on a full frame camera.

As always in the past, I trust this website to provide accurate and helpful advice. And since I moved up from my old N-80 in 2005, every camera decision has been made using the assistance I've received here. I'd appreciate assistance once again.

Thank you

R.J.L
Owings Mills, MD

Nikonians Gallery
Picasa Gallery
PBase Gallery

----------------------
enjoying many years "playing through the viewfinder"...but now getting more serious about making quality images.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: An opportunity to move up to FX...maybe