Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800, Movies, Microphone and focus noise

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 28-Mar-12 01:49 PM

I have been playing with movies (they hold not strong interest but since it does them...)

I am using the built in mic and a 24-70/2.8 lens (no VR), with more or less default settings.

When I record, the lens is continually focusing (and doing a pretty good job actually). but the focus noise is extremely loud on playback, I guess because the lens is an inch from the mic. It's loud enough to be almost unusable.

Has anyone else noticed?

Did anyone get the Nikon add-on mic, either the Nikon ME1 or something else, and try it? I could see where a true, feet-from-camera external mic would be better, but does a hot-shoe mic get far enough away this problem goes away?

Note I have no other lens with me at the moment (long story) so not sure if that lens is louder than most. It actually seems a bit loud from memory, but new camera, new lens... hard to say from memory. But VR is also going to add some noise.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800, Movies, Microphone and focus noise

G