Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I want the D800, but...

drseuss

Daly City, US
69 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drseuss Registered since 14th Dec 2011
Wed 28-Mar-12 03:29 PM | edited Wed 28-Mar-12 03:47 PM by drseuss

So I have had a D7000 for about a year, and I loved it! But I'm ready to move to a full frame camera. I have sold my D7000 in preparation for my D800, which I have just ordered. Then I started thinking about what I'm getting myself into with the D800.

So I understand that it's a great camera, but I am being to have doubts about whether or not this is the right camera for me. I mostly shoot my kids and sports (both fast moving). I take a lot of family pictures, which causes me to be in low light areas (my house, etc.). The 4 fps that the D800 gives me seems low for basketball and even taking pictures of my kids for that matter (I have a one year old and a three year old, bob of which are very active).

The other thing that bothers me is the high MP that the D800 has. I thought that 16MP was a good number with my D7000. I shoot mostly in RAW because I like the ability to edit whatever I want with my pictures. So the D800 files that I will be getting are going to be huge! I know I can downsize them and that will help me with size and also give me better photos that were shot with a high ISO, but that just seems like an extra step for every picture.

I also have a Nikon 50mm 1.8G and a Nikon 85mm 1.8G. I am beginning to think that these lenses are not good enough for the D800. They are not on the recommended lens list for the D800. My wife isn't too keen on me spending a lot of money on photography, so as a result my budget isn't really high. So that rules put the D4, but it is high enough for me to get a D800 .

So I was wondering if the D700 was a better fit for me. A friend told me that he loved his D700, but the technology is 4 years old. I don mind that the technology is a little older, but the 12MP is a little bothersome to me. I like to crop a bit. But I don't really make huge prints, although the ability to do that would be nice. I feel like I would like a full frame that is in between a D800 and a D700. I believe people her call it a D4 lite. I heard that a D400 will be announced soon, so I'm hoping that it will be a full frame camera, but I doubt it because it seems like that would take away from sales of their other cameras (D4).

I feel like I'm babbling now, so l'll stop. But that's where I am right now.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I want the D800, but...

G