Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

d800 and photographing stars

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
578 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Wed 19-Jun-13 08:34 AM

I had never photographed stars so far, but plan to do so, so I made a few test exposures from my window here in Lahore. The results surprised me; here is the link to the flickr set where I upoaded 3 image files:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukaswerth/sets/72157634210917406/

Here in Lahore there is of course lots and lots of optical pollution; still, the big bear is clearly visible near the top.
Camera: Nikon d800e
Lens: Zeiss 18mm f/3.5
Exposure time: 15 seconds
the three pictures were taken, as their file names indicate, with 100, 400, and 1600 ISO. Developed with ACR and PS.
I give the jpegs here with their full resolution.

The most remarkable result is for me:

1) the 100 ISO file shows for all I can see, if you look at it at 100%, just as many stars as the 1600 ISO file. I raised the exposure value in ACR, but still... This is contrary to everything I read so far about photographing stars: normally they recommend 3200 ISO and f/2.8 - which I don't have on the 18mm which is my widest lens.\

Do you have any explanations for this, or similar experiences, or am I getting something wrong?

Just now, this seems to show to me how good the d800 sensor really is. 100 ISO and stars!!

One more point:

On my screen when uploaded, the files show some posterization, I think this is due to my raising the contrast. Or could this be a problem of the sensor?

A further observation, not related to the camera:

Even with 15 seconds and 18mm,the star shapes are already quite elongated (also contrary to what I read). I wonder whether this is because because of the latitude of Lahore??

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukaswerth/

also see my Nikonians gallery:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/member.php/uid/444897

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: d800 and photographing stars