Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
piowoc

St. Louis, US
181 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
piowoc Registered since 06th Aug 2007
Tue 27-Mar-12 11:18 PM

Hi guys,

here is my situation:
I am a full time pro shooting mostly performing arts (theater, dance, concerts, etc.). About 60% of the shots I take are withing ISO 800-1600. I do studio work (maybe 20% of my work) as well and of course I use the lowest ISO there. I use ISO 3200 and above maybe for 3% of my shots and I almost never use ISO 6400.
Now you can probably easily predict my question
What will I get for extra $3K what I am not getting with D800?
By the way my D800 arrived yesterday, so I was not even able to test it thorough-fully, but my preliminary results are very encouraging.
So far I've been using a pair of D700s for my assignments, but it's high time to upgrade, so I already have D800, which I plan on using mostly in my studio and whenever I will need a lot of details.
My hopes with D4 were that:
1. It's going to give me better quality in low light, especially at ISO 1600 and above than D800.
2. It's going to respond faster than D800.
3. It's going to handle better than D800 with vertical grip (ergonomics).
4. It's going to give me more precise AF than D800.
5. It's RAW images won't be immensely large, so I can quickly work on them, especially that I can have 2000+ photos from one assignment.
6. It's video capabilities will be better than those of D800.

Now, looking at your experiences with D800/D4 do you think I can really expect any of these advantages?
If not all of them, are they still worth extra $3K, which by the way is exactly the cost of another D800?

I absolutely need two cameras, no question about it. The only question is if I need D800 and D4, or just 2 D800s.

All your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I hope that some of you maybe already received both D4 and D800 and can share their opinions on how they compare in real life.

Thanks!

Regards,
Peter

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Do I still need D4?