Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Focus Point not where Image is focused

AspireImages

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
AspireImages Registered since 09th Jun 2013
Sun 09-Jun-13 01:00 AM

Hi there... I'm new to the forum and hoping that someone can help me. I purchased my first D800 last summer and have now been through 3 different camera bodies with similar AF issues and soft images. Additionally the camera locks up and refuses to focus or fire often. This has occurred with all 3 bodies and happens primarily when using the S-AF, but does it with all of the other dynamic focus options. Some focus points will more consistently result in the camera freezing and not focusing, but there is no focus point that has been error free. I have used a variety of lenses (some FX, some DX, some prime, others zoom) and experience similar problems, although it is the worst with my 70-200mm f2.8.

In analyzing some of my images tonight I discovered an odd issue - bride and groom sitting next to each other, table of cupcakes behind them by about 3 feet. At 1/100, f5.6, ISO 800, 160mm at about 30ft the focus point was on the bride's face. In the image, her face is (relatively) sharp but the groom sitting directly next to her is totally out of focus. And then I noticed that a small section of the cupcakes in the lower third of the image on the far left edge is in sharp focus. I began looking through my images and noticed that many are this way.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what might be causing it?

Thank you!
Michelle

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Focus Point not where Image is focused