Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6131 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Fri 31-May-13 12:49 AM

I have a battery grip for the D800, but I have found that I really don't like it all that much.

My main complaint is that you have to remove the grip to replace the second battery. This is time consuming, and it is pretty hard to get it tightened back up where it needs to be after each change. On my D200, both batteries were replaceable without removing the grip, and I liked that.

As far as better support when shooting the D800 in vertical orientation, I have found that I rarely need to turn the D800 vertical. I have found that there is so much resolution that it is perfectly acceptable to shoot horizontal and crop a vertical out of any image. And you end up with more resolution than my D3!

Shooting everything horizontal has the added benefit of hiding the flash shadow when shooting receptions or events, so that you don't need to use a flash bracket.

My D3, of course, has the grip built in, and I really LIKE that grip. There is only one battery, and it can be changed in about two seconds. And it will last for at least 12 hours of continuous shooting!

I'm just curious how much you like the battery grip on your D800?

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Grip