Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

the quality of the d800/e

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
574 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Mon 27-May-13 07:32 AM

Searching the web for other ends, I came across Ming Thein's comparison of the d800e with the Leica s, and DxO's comparison of the nikon with the canon mark III.

Having had my d800e for abut a year now, this being my very first DSLR, both articles made me think about my tool. I bought it because I wanted to do full-color shooting which is not practicable any more with film, and I bought it because I understood it to be the best DSLR for my purposes my money could buy. A year later, I still think it is, and I have learned a lot - also from this community, thanks to everybody.

But what do I cherish so much about my tool? I used to think, and still do, that photography is not all about spending money - after all, another one of my most liked instruments are my two self-made pinhole cameras which cost me pennies.

So, the d800 gives me sharpness for large prints which was not achievable before, not in my price range the Leica is clearly outside of. But it is not only about sharpness. The big sensor allows me to go soft also and still shows a hell lot of details, and get a beautiful tonality, and a dynamic range which really has surprised me. This dynamic range has turned out every bit as important for me as the sharpness, just as the fantastic tonality.

The challenge for me is not to get overwhelmed by the technical sophistication, and rather to try seeing the world as I want it to see. This is the quality of my pinhole cameras, and I think the d800e also gives me this very possibility. Expensive as it was for me, it brought a technical quality within my reach which I had not dared to hope for before, not, that is, in the digital sphere.

One wish for Nikon, though: a lens like this bloody Canon 17mm tilt-shift!

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

G