Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Convoluted or Smart Focus Solution?

tivoli1

US
42 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tivoli1 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2011
Fri 17-May-13 01:54 PM

I don't have the best eyesight, I don't have the youngest eyes and I wear progressive lenses in my glasses. I recently purchased the manual focus Nikkor 50 1.2 lens which I love. Focusing is quick and easy for the most part. That said, a sharp focus is everything and under many conditions, focusing with this lens can also be a challenge, possibly given my eyesight.

I started a search for focusing aids and eventually learned about viewfinders, typically used for video, which make focusing easier, like the Z-finder and others.

Again, since not much good happens without having a focus on focus, and since a tripod is not always convenient, what are your experiences with viewfinders? I'm considering the Cinevate Cyclops viewfinder too. Taking video is also in my future but this is more about still photography where a tripod is not used. The viewfinder is bulky but magnifies the screen and also must be used in live view.

Any disadvantages to shooting mostly in live view? Thanks.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Convoluted or Smart Focus Solution?

G