Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
cbrandin

US
41 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cbrandin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2011
Thu 29-Mar-12 09:55 PM

I am contemplating buying a D800. I'm interested in it's video capabilities as well as still image capture. I have a D700 and noticed something peculiar about how picture controls are implemented when processed in-camera (unless I am mistaken).

If I build a picture control that makes use of a custom curve (built with the picture control utility) it appears that the curve is not applied to JPEGs in-camera even though the other parameters are. This is no big deal with still images because I shoot raw anyway.

With video, however, this becomes a much bigger deal because video is always reduced to 8-bit. Can anybody tell me whether the D800 applies custom curves in-camera for video? If so, that would be very nice - but if it works like the D700 custom curves aren't applied in-camera, and that would be too bad.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G